Overweight and Obesity
What is it? Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.
Body mass index (BMI) is a simple index of weight-for-height that is commonly used to classify overweight and obesity in adults. It is defined as a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2).
The WHO definition for adults is:
- a BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
- a BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity
BMI is determined on an age and sex specific percentile for children as their body composition varies as they age and varies between boys and girls.
To determine your child’s BMI and plot it on a chart, click on this link
Why are we concerned if your child is overweight or obese?
The effects that teen obesity has on health can begin during the teen years and extend throughout a lifetime if not checked. Here are some of the common health conditions thought to have teen obesity as a risk factor:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep problems, including sleep apnea
- Orthopedic (bone) problems due to an inability of the developing bones to support the excess weight
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart disease
Additionally, teenage obesity can lead to psychological problems associated with negative body image and social issues associated with being treated as an outcast.
So what can we do to help our children
- A healthy diet is essential to ensure that your child grows well during this period. A diet that consists of food from all the food groups, especially fresh fruits and vegetables
- Encourage the whole family to become more active. Get involved in physical activities in school as well as in the afternoon time with family members
- At Frontier Kids Care, we can help your family to maintain healthy lifestyles and we also offer weight management sessions. Online support groups like the weigh2rock help children, teens and families deal with overweight management.
Check out our healthy, delicious recipes under the recipe tab in the Frontier Kids and Parents Zones!
Link here for our shopping list to help you to make that lifestyle change!